The Current Planning Section assists applicants in the development process while safeguarding the public's interest in maintaining Spokane's quality of life. While the Current Planning Section is sometimes referred to as "Zoning," zoning is only one of the section's functions.
The specific work for this Section includes the following areas:
- Processing of applications for requests such as Rezones, Conditional Use Permits, Variances, and Street Name Changes.
- Responds to inquiries about how property within the city is zoned, what uses are allowed in those zones, and how property can be developed within the zones.
- Reviews permits for new fences, garages, and adjustments to property lines.
- Processing of applications for specific uses such as Day Care Facilities, Home Occupations, and Drive-Through Espresso Stands.
- Reviews all new commercial development within the city.
- Subdivisions, including Short and Long Plats (both Preliminary and Final), Binding Site Plans, and Planned Unit Developments (PUDs).
- Review of Building Permits for compliance with the City’s zoning standards. This includes review of permit applications for commercial and office development, garages and other accessory buildings, fences, other new construction activity.
- Review of Sign Permit applications.
- The section also supports the Hearing Examiner, Plan Commission, and City Council in the public hearing process through the provisions of the Spokane Municipal Code related to subjects such as the Comprehensive Plan, Zoning, Subdivisions, Shorelines, and Skywalks.
|Current Planning Staff|
|Wanda Clark||(509) 625-6149|
|Dave Compton||(509) 625-6089|
|Marla Powers||(509) 625-6638|
Zoning Map and Information: "Spokane GIS - CityMap"
Each piece of property within the City of Spokane has a specific zoning category assigned to it. The zoning category determines what uses are allowed on the property. To find the zoning of a piece of property, click here: Spokane GIS - CityMap. You can then zoom in or search by address/parcel and find your area or property of interest. You can then apply a host of overlay components. If you have any problems with the system or questions, call Current Planning staff at (509) 625-6300.
Zoning and Unified Development Code (UDC)
The City of Spokane consolidates all of the development regulations and guidelines into a Unified Development Code (UDC) found in Spokane Municipal Code Title 17.
The "Zoning Code" contains the descriptions of the City's zoning categories and the uses allowed in them. The Zoning Code also contains the City's requirements for development standards for new construction, such as required building setbacks, height limitations, lot coverage, landscaping requirements, and parking ratios. For a quick overall view of zoning categories and allowed uses click here.
|"Unified Development Code (UDC) Title 17|
|Comprehensive Plan and Sub-area Plans||17B||3/30/05|
|Land Use Standards||17C||6/14/06||Residential Zones (SMC 17C.110)|
|Residential Zones - RSF, RTF, RMF, RHD, RA||17C.110||6/14/06|
|Residential Zones - Primary Uses (table)||17C.110.100||6/14/06|
|Residential Zones - Development Standards||17C.110||6/14/06||Commercial Zones (SMC 17C.120)|
|Commercial Zones - O, OR, NR, NMU, CB, GC||17C.120||7/06/05|
|Commercial Zones - Primary Uses (table)||17C.120.100||7/06/05|
|Commercial Zones - Development Standards||17C.120||7/06/05||Center and Corridor Zones (SMC 17C.122)|
|Center and Corridor Regulations - CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4||17C.122||2/07/06|
|Center and Corridor - Primary Uses (table)||17C.122.070||2/07/06|
|Center and Corridor Design Standards||8/11/02||Downtown Zones (SMC 17C.124)|
|Downtown Zones - DTC, DTG, DTU, DTS||17C.124||1/16/10|
|Downtown Zones - Primary Uses (table)||17C.124.100||1/16/10|
|Design Review Application Handbook||1/10|
|Downtown Design Guidelines||12/14/09|
|Updated Downtown Zoning Map||Map||#C34523|
|Downtown Character Area Considerations||12/14/09|
|Complete Streets Map||Map||12/14/09||Industrial Zones (SMC 17C.130)|
|Industrial Zones - LI, HI, PI||17C.130||12/15/05|
|Industrial Zones - Primary Uses (table)||17C.130.100||12/15/05|
|Industrial Zones - Development Standards||17C.130.210||12/15/05||Other UDC Chapters|
|Administration and Procedures||17G||3/30/05|
|Public Works Standards||Title 13||11/28/07|
Only search this website